Thursday, January 17, 2008

Potato Sourdough Bread

From ID with love.
This is a recipe from Auntie Pam and Shirley May
Unfortunately, I don't have the recipe to make the starter but I do have the starter and have given it out to others and if you are one of them this post is for you.

To make the bread:
1 cup starter
1.5 cups warm water
1 Tablespoon honey or molasses (I like the molasses)
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 package yeast (2 1/4 teaspoons)
2 teaspoons salt
1 cup whole wheat flour (you can also add various grains which I like to do)
4 cups of flour

Mix. Knead. This is a very wet/sticky dough I find works best in the Kitchen Aid. Let raise 1 hour until double then shape and raise again and bake at 350 for 30-35 mins. Makes 2 regular size loaves.

I like this bread for breakfast as toast. I add sunflower seeds, raisins, oats, whatever I find that seems healthy in bulk at Winco.

Replenishing starter
3 Tablespoons mashed potato
1 cup water
3/4 cup sugar

No comments: